In the introduction to Light Box’s Florence “My Local Guide”, the publishers provide several points to respect the environment and culture of places we visit.
- Create less refuse;
- Save water;
- Reduce energy usage;
- Consume healthy food that is chemical free;
- Choose local products and typical specialties;
- Buy green;
- Use public transport;
- Keep noise to a minimum;
- Respect the historic heritage; and
- Actively participate in improving the environment
Moreover, as a guideline for understanding our impact, they detail the following schedule for biodegradable refuse:
- A cigarette butt, 1 to 5 years;
- Orange or banana peels, more than 2 years;
- Wool garments, 5 years;
- Plastified paper, 5 years;
- Plastic bags, 10 to 20 years;
- Nylon products, 30 to 40 years;
- Leather products, more than 50 years;
- Aluminum cans, 500 years;
- Glass bottles, 1000 years; and
- Plastic bottles, unlimited!
Food for thought.